Sunday 21 December 2008

Lost in Virginia

Maybe I am running because I am bored? Hmmm well that or the jet-lag, either way another dawn run. The original plan was to run an 8 mile loop after yesterdays 4 mile loop. Well the best laid plans of mice and men and all that... I missed my turn-off and kept running until I passed a road that I had seen on Google Map earlier and knew was about 1 1/2 miles further along than the road I should've turned on. So I had to turn tail and retrace my steps. So my 8 mile run turned into a half-marathon by accident. And boy was it tough.

OK fitness wise I know I have this in me. 6 months of circuit training have given me the cardiovascular fitness I need, but my legs are not ready for this yet. After about 7 miles the knees began smarting, then the hamstrings and then the calf muscles. It didn't help that the route was very hilly -- "country roads take me home to the place I belong, west virginia, mountain moma" -- very apt.

At one point I did begin laughing hysterically for no apparent reason, at 10 miles I was singing Whitesnake - "Here I go again" at the top of my voice.. and at 11 I was praying for sight of Stevens Lane which meant I had 1 1/2 left to go. And people do this for fun!!

Still at least I have a mental idea of what a Marathon consists of, and I was able to eat a super-sized breakfast with no qualms... and Virginia is very pretty.

No comments: