Friday 15 August 2008

Ernie, the Fastest MilkMan in the West

Inspired by a green blogger http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/monthwithoutplastic/ I opted to stop buying supermarket milk, despite the recently announced massive price cuts, and returned to doorstep delivery by the local milkman.

To be honest paying 10-20p more a pint is not going to bankrupt me and so on Monday morning I woke up to find a once familiar sight -- the humble pint bottle sitting on my doorstep. And you know what? It brought back such nostalgia. If like me you can remember the clink of milk bottles and the whirring of the milk float’s electric engine in the wee small hours of the morning then you will know what I mean, it’s like the dairy equivalent of the tooth fairy.

Some of you may even recall robbing pints from people’s doorsteps on the way home from a late night drunken session or awaking to find birds had pecked a hole in the aluminium foil to drink the cream.

My Grandma actually bought some plastic device that you left for the milkman to fit over the bottle to stop the little feathered thieves – probably bought it from one of those companies who you only ever see advertising their wares in the Daily Mail alongside adult incontinence pants and illuminated magnifying glasses.

Anyhow so now I am recycling with minimal effort and helping to preserve a dying occupation and this morning when I opened my door I found a cornucopia of goodies – milk, fruit juice and organic eggs, it was like Supermarket Santa had been and paid me a visit.

Support your milkman!



P.S. while I am on my 70s nostalgia-trip go here to see the No.1 song from Dec 7th 1971... (Incidentally Tory Leader David Cameron picked this as one of his desert island discs!!!!!!)








2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jason, this blog thing is way too spooky - we seem to be doing the same things! We started having milk (and eggs) delivered when we moved to the new place, and, as you know, I share your views on the international situation (why was there this myopia when it was so obvious what was going to happen??) and the repetition of the whole 70s thing.

Oh, and I bought a hat. A proper one...

Jason said...

Welcome to your middle age LOL